Test Kitchen Notes
Fill your home with the aromas of freshly baked, pull-apart garlic knots made with just a few simple ingredients. These warm, buttery bread bites call for store-bought pizza dough to cut down on the time it takes to make dough from scratch.
Use the PROOF setting on your Ninja® Foodi® XL Pressure Cooker Steam Fryer with SmartLid™ to get plump knots, followed by the STEAM & CRISP function for pillowy-soft centers and crispy, golden crusts. Not only is this appetizer or snack beyond easy to make, but it can also be upgraded with additions like Parmesan cheese, pizzeria-style marinara, or creamy ranch dressing.
In addition to the garlic powder, the freshly minced garlic cloves give this baked good its signature aromatic quality and intensify the flavors. Adding the finely chopped garlic bits towards the end of the cooking time ensures that the allium retains its bite and zestiness without becoming too charred or caramelized.
This recipe was created by the Ninja Test Kitchen, and is shared in partnership with Ninja™.
Accessories and tools needed: Cook & Crisp Basket, Silicone Baking Mat (or parchment paper) —The Editors
- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 50 minutes
- makes 10 garlic knots
Nonstick cooking spray
kosher salt, divided
store-bought pizza dough, room temperature
All-purpose flour (for dusting)
olive oil, divided (plus more as needed)
water, for steaming
unsalted butter, melted
garlic cloves, peeled, minced
- Line the Cook & Crisp Basket with a nonstick silicone baking mat (or parchment paper), and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Divide pizza dough into 10 equal pieces. On a very lightly floured work surface, roll each piece into an 8-inch rope. Using 1 teaspoon olive oil, brush ropes with oil, then sprinkle with garlic powder mixture. Tie each dough into a knot, with the ends extending less than 1 inch on each side.
- Arrange knots in prepared basket with 7 in a circle around the outside and 3 in the center (it’s ok if they touch a little). Brush the tops very lightly with olive oil. Place the basket in the pot.
- Close the lid, then move the slider to AIR FRY/STOVETOP. Select PROOF, set temperature to 95°F, and set time to 20 minutes. Press START/STOP to begin the rise.
- When proofing is complete, remove the basket. Add 1/2 cup water to the pot, then place the basket back in the pot.
- Close the lid and move slider to STEAMCRISP. Select STEAM & CRISP, set temperature to 335°F, and set time to 15 minutes. Press START/STOP to begin cooking (PrE will display for approx. 5 minutes as the unit steams, then the timer will start counting down).
- While the knots bake, prepare the garlic butter. In a small bowl, combine melted butter, minced garlic, 1 teaspoon oil, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, then brush the prepared mixture on knots halfway through baking.
- When cooking is complete, remove basket from pot and cool slightly before serving. Use tongs to remove knots from basket.